Monday 27 August 2012

How Do You Save The Weekend?

So this is a problem I've identified. The weekend.
Usually this is when couples,singles, aliens visiting from outer space get out and enjoy what their city has to offer.
Me, I seem to have fallen into the pj's all weekend and DVDs.

In my defence it has been raining here for just over a year and so the urge to get out and enjoy oneself is limited. There's only so much donning of sensible waterproof shoes and braving the cold a girl can accomplish.
But the weekend routine has become a rut I really need to get out of. 
The sun has finally decided to make an appearance once again.

With this in mind naturally a girls mind goes to thoughts of a summer wardrobe. 
Going through what passes as my wardrobe I find that I am in need of well, everything.
First step is naturally getting my hands on the September issue of Vogue. 
There's something utterly genius about Anna Wintour. She's definitely one of my style icons, as is Diane Keaton. And while I can't hope to emulate their style or their budget I think approaching the ripe old age of 40 that the time for younger inspiration has past.

This year I'm hoping to introduce more colour into my wardrobe. 
I wear so much black I could be the poster child for middle aged Emo's. 
However there is light at the end of this dark as midnight tunnel. 
I was walking past a shop the other day and the window display caught my eye.
White pants, a navy and white striped Breton top covered by a red summer weight cardigan.
It caught my eye due to the colour but straight away I thought dated, obvious, too easy.
After all I live within sight of a lake and a marina so nautical style, maybe not.

Stripes and me have not had a favourable history.
Whenever I wear stripes I feel like one of those wine barrels with the metal hoops around them, you know the ones made by convict men called coopers. 

For some reason the Breton top is resonating with me as a way to revitalise my summer wardrobe. Naturally I'd prefer my Breton to come from Brittany but what's a girl to do?
A long as I can find a reasonable version without awful embellishments (read anchor motifs, stripes in any colour other than navy, ribbons, bows or pockets)  I'll be happy.

For my 40th birthday there are dinners planned, Numerous functions at which I have to appear dressed in ...... something. other. than. pajamas.!
Over the next two weeks my mission is to go through my wardrobe, throw out all of those hopeful items hanging in my closet hoping against hope that I'll lose weight. Introduce new items that fit, that co ordinate and give me options for a dressed in clothes weekend lifestyle. 

40 is my "grow up" deadline.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment