Thursday 13 September 2012

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Dinner.

 
Tonight I should have been having a lovely dinner out with my boys for my birthday.
I should have been primped and prettified in a beautiful floor length red silk dress. My make up having been expertly applied by someone who understands the complexities of mascara and eye liner. My hair should have been tamed by a very snooty hairdresser named Brett into a glamorous do that I could never achieve without tearing muscles and ligaments and very possible doing a triple flip backwards into a bath.

Instead I woke up and felt kind of off. My bones ached in my shoulders and my arms. My head ached and I felt weary and nauseous. This did not bode well for my mystery night out.

In the end I decided to cancel the evening and rebook it for a night when I wasn't feeling so under the weather. 

The only upside to this unfortunate series of events is this - I have been scouring everywhere looking for the perfect pair of shoes to match my dress because I just can't see myself being happy wearing black shoes with this magic dress. I want the ruby slippers to go with the ruby red gown.

In a side note the ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz was a film adaptation, the original slippers were silver. I could use some silver slippers as well.

I ended up spending the day reading fashion blogs. Something that I admit I have sort of disdained a little bit until now. I read Vogue mainly for the photography.
Fashion and fashion mags, blogs etc are the fairytale books for adults. 
It has taken 40 years to see that although you may not be able to afford the premium priced clothes on view you can take lessons from these magazines and blogs. 
About cut,colour, style and how to organise a wardrobe. 

I realised that these women are just like me,but with a more defined sense of style.
Which proves you are never to old to learn something new.

I may not have made my dinner date but my afternoon was spent uncomfortable but productively. I now have a swag of links to other writers who I look forward to following.  


No comments:

Post a Comment